HVOF Engineering Applications
Reason for use: HVOF is a high energy thermal spray process which produces dense, excellent performance in demanding, aggressive, wear and corrosive environments.
High Velocity Oxygen Fuel (HVOF) coatings
HVOF is a high energy thermal spray process which produces dense, strong coatings of cermets and metals which give excellent performance in demanding, aggressive, wear and corrosive environments.
HVOF coatings are an important part of advanced surface engineering which enable us to salvage and improve components. This enables machinery & process equipment to last longer, perform better and be less damaging to our environment.
The HVOF process is used in key industries such as oil and gas, power, water, mining, petrochemicals, chemicals, aerospace, paper, engineering and manufacturing.
HVOF coatings can be used as a replacement for environmentally damaging Hard Chrome.
HVOF is a relatively cool process which leads to minimal distortion or metallurgical change to the work piece or sprayed material. HVOF
HVOF Coating Benefits
- Extremely hard. Up to 1400 HV Dense.
- Low porosity < 1%.
- Very high bond strengths >80 Mpa.
- Allows designers to use less expensive, lighter and more easily processed base materials.
- Used to reclaim and salvage worn and damaged components.
- Quick to apply.
- Reduces downtime.
- Hard Chrome Replacement.
- Low environmental impact compared to electroplating processes.
- Widely used in many advanced engineering applications.
- Oxygen / liquid fuel (kerosene) ignites in combustion chamber.
- Combustion gases accelerated through nozzle (Mach 3+).
- Powder injected into gas stream.
- Gas exits nozzle at up to 2200 m/s, Particle velocity 300 – 700 m/s (Mach 1=340 m/s).
- Particles soften and impact substrate at high velocity.
- Gas fuel systems are also available.
Common Applications of HVOF Coatings:
- Seals .
- Wear Rings.
- Downhole Tools.
- Drilling Tools.
- Landing Gear Legs.
- Flap Tracks.
- Gas Turbines Shafts.
- Pulp and Paper Rollers.
- Print and Packaging Rollers.
- Traction Rollers.
- Agitators and Stirrers.
- Cylinder Bores.
- Wire Drawing Capstans.